ONLINE! Summer 2017
JRN 809: Advising for Secondary Teachers
July 5 to Aug. 18 • Take this class for 3 graduate-level credits or not-for-credit
Instructor: Betsy Pollard Rau
You’ve discovered you love working with your journalism students, but you might not be sure you are doing it quite right. This student media advising course is for you. This course will cover all aspects of publishing student news in print and online, including reporting, writing and editing; photography; staff organization; legal and ethical issues; design and student assessment.
Learn from Betsy Pollard Rau, one of the nation’s top student media advisers and a member of the Michigan Journalism Hall of Fame. The handouts you receive will be your favorites for years to come, and the online community you’ll form with Betsy and other advisers will be a source of inspiration every day.
Register by May 15, 2017 to help guarantee your spot!
OPTIONS TO MEET YOUR NEEDS
- Get graduate-level credit to meet state or district professional development requirements
- Work toward a journalism endorsement
- Pursue a journalism master’s degree
- Enroll not-for-credit for $425
ABOUT MSU/MIPA ADVISER COURSES
The Michigan State University School of Journalism partners with MIPA to offer a variety of journalism education courses for teachers and for students pursuing teacher certification. Often offered online and during the summer, our curriculum changes to suit your needs and current issues facing scholastic journalism. You may enroll in these courses for undergraduate- or graduate-level credit, or not-for-credit at a reduced rate.
- MSU/MIPA Adviser Course Frequently Asked Questions
- Don’t need the college credit, but want to take the class? For $425, you can do that.
- Scholarships are available from the School of Journalism and MIPA for those taking the course for credit. Learn more and apply.
- Calculate MSU tuition rates (tuition varies based on residency and student level). Current teachers seeking college credit who are not enrolled in a degree-granting program at MSU typically would enroll in our courses at the lifelong education graduate level.
- Questions? Contact Jeremy Steele in the MIPA office.