Steps to Register
Click on each item below to learn more about all three required steps in the registration process.
Step 1: Choose Your Course
Choose a workshop course from the list below. Click the Register button, add a ticket to your shopping cart and complete the online registration form. Proceed to checkout. See Step 2 for payment options.
Step 2: Make a Payment
A $40 nonrefundable deposit is required to hold a spot in one of our courses. This deposit is applied to your registration fee. Registrations after June 10 include a $30 late registration fee. If you are registering after June 10, please pay the full fee at registration.
Participants will not be allowed access to our program if a balance remains due.
Additional important payment information:
- Payment options
- You may pay the entire fee during checkout. We accept payments by credit card, check or via school purchase order.
- To pay ONLY the deposit now — and the remaining balance later — follow these steps:
- At checkout, choose “Request an Invoice/Pay via Purchase Order” as your payment method. Complete your checkout. You will receive an email confirmation.
- Next, go to https://mipamsu.org/payment to pay the required deposit via credit card, or mail a check to MIPA. Make any future payments via credit card at https://mipamsu.org/payment or via check mailed to MIPA.
- We will provide occasional updates via email about any remaining balance due.
- Are you running a SponsorMe campaign to raise money toward your registration fee?
- At checkout choose “Request an Invoice/Pay via Purchase Order” to avoid paying anything at the time of registration.
- We’ll periodically apply the money you’ve raised to your balance due and give you an update.
- You can make partial payments at any time at https://mipamsu.org/payment.
Step 3: Complete the permission forms
MIPA will contact the participant and parent before the start of our program with information on how to complete required permission forms. These forms will need to be completed and returned to us before the start of our program.
Questions about registering?
- Call MIPA at 517-353-6761
- Email us at [email protected]
Select a Course
Courses may run during the first session, during the second session or during a combined two-week session. Youth participants may enroll in up to one course during each session.
If you are registering for multiple courses, return to this page before checkout to add another registration to your cart.
Save $20 when you take a Session 1 and a Session 2 course!
Session 1 Courses
- Session 1: July 19-23, 2021
Learn how to report and tell audio stories with the general manager and team of directors at Impact 89FM, Michigan State University’s award-winning student radio station.
This course will prepare you for this fall if you are joining as a staff member, section editor or even editor in chief. Students will learn about theme, reporting, design and photography while you use your yearbook software.
Session 2 Courses
- Session 2: July 26-30, 2021
Adobe InDesign is used by many journalists to design newspapers, magazines and other print products. Learn how to use this software to create effective designs to convey news and other information.
MIPA Photography Master Class
The MIPA Photography Master Class is intensive, two-week seminar designed to help participants developed advanced skills in photojournalism. This seminar are divided into two segments from Monday, July 19-Friday, July 30. You may enroll in either segment separately or enroll in both for a discounted registration fee.
Course sessions will be held on weekdays only, but MIPA Master Class participants may be assigned projects to work on over the weekend.
Segment 1 – Beyond the Basics
This segment of the Master Class will help you learn about the functions of your DSLR camera, including manual camera controls. Participants will also concentrate on tips and tricks on photo composition and visual storytelling.
- Monday, July 19-Friday, July 23
Segment 2 – Shoot Like a Pro
This segment of the Master Class will allow students to “work with a pro.” Professional photojournalists Michael Caterina and Ike Lea will show you how to become a stronger visual storyteller while mastering your camera.
- Monday, July 26-Friday, July 30
Questions? Need assistance selecting a workshop course? Contact us