Why join MIPA?
We know a lot of reasons!
Benefits for Student Media Outlet Members
MIPA provides a host of services for advisers and students, including:
- Fall and spring conferences with top-notch speakers for students to learn practical information they need to put out great publications and to learn about issues and careers in journalism, plus a middle school conference with sessions designed specifically for younger student journalists.
- A summer workshop for students featuring specific courses in online, newspaper, yearbook, broadcast, design, writing and photography.
- Hands-on workshops where students can learn the latest journalism techniques.
- A “hotline” for legal problems student media outlets may face.
- A mentorship program for new and inexperienced advisers.
- A liaison between Michigan’s longest continuously accredited journalism school and middle/high schools.
- A full-time executive director to coordinate professional development activities for advisers, including summer credit courses and special programs throughout the year.
- A website and newsletter to keep the membership informed, plus email messages throughout the school year.
- An occasional advisers’ retreat where teachers can relax, exchange ideas and attend informative work sessions.
- An evaluation/contest service for newspapers, yearbooks, broadcast programs and websites for the Spartan Award, the highest award MIPA presents to student media outlets, plus an individual category contest for newspapers, yearbooks, broadcast productions and online student media.
- Hall of Fame for student media with longstanding traditions of excellence.
- An honor cord program to recognize graduating seniors for academic achievement and superior work in journalism or school media.
- Reduced fees for all MIPA events, including conferences and workshops.
Associate Member Benefits
Associate members are entitled to a variety of member benefits, but cannot nominate or vote for candidates for office and cannot enter MIPA’s contests or critique service, which are open only to member student media outlets. Associate member benefits include:
- Reduced, member-rate registration fees for all MIPA events, including:
- Fall and spring conferences with top-notch speakers for students to learn practical information they need to put out great publications and to learn about issues and careers in journalism, plus a middle school conference with sessions designed specifically for younger student journalists
- A summer workshop for students featuring specific courses in online, newspaper, yearbook, broadcast, design, writing and photography
- Hands-on workshops where students can learn the latest journalism techniques. w Reduced advertising and vendor rates for MIPA publications and activities
- Discounted rates for vendor space and advertising in event programs, as well for advertising in Stet, MIPA’s online newsletter
- MIPA adviser listserv, where teachers across the state share ideas (for teacher members only)
- An online directory of members (coming soon)
- Access to any member-only materials on MIPA’s website
- A website and newsletter to keep the membership informed, plus email messages throughout the school year
Membership for Student Media Outlets
Membership in MIPA runs the academic year and is open to student media outlets at public, private and parochial high schools, middle schools and junior highs. These media outlets should be under the direction of an adviser or a teacher who is associated with the school’s media or journalism program. Join by the MIPA’s Fall Conference to save $5.
Associate Membership for MIPA Supporters
Associate members are individuals or organizations that support MIPA’s mission and have a strong interest in scholastic journalism, but are not student media outlets. This may include teachers who don’t advise student media, individuals who believe in the educational value of scholastic journalism, media trade organizations, collegiate journalism programs, professional media companies, those who provide sales and services to student media and others. Membership runs the academic year.
MIPA membership runs the academic year. View the 2018-2019 academic year member list. We update this list weekly.
View a copy of MIPA’s annual report, which is distributed to members at the Spring Awards & On-Site Contests.