Registration for our 2024 program is not yet open
The 2023 MIPA Summer Journalism Workshop runs from Sunday, July 23, to Thursday, July 27 This is an in-person, residential program open to youth entering grades 7-12. Program fees include housing in a university residence hall and meals in the cafeteria. Space in our workshop course is limited.
Steps to Register
Click on each item below to learn more about all three required steps in the registration process.
Step 1: Choose Your Course (click to expand)
Choose a workshop course from the list below. Click the Register button, add a ticket to your shopping cart and complete the online registration form. Proceed to checkout. See Step 2 for payment options.
Step 2: Make a Payment (click to expand)
A $50 nonrefundable deposit is required to hold a spot in one of our courses. This deposit is applied to your registration fee. Registrations after June 30 include a $75 late registration fee. If you are registering on or after June 30, please pay the full fee at registration.
Any balance remaining should be paid by June 30, after which a late fee may be charged for unpaid registrations or those registrations may be cancelled. Participants will not be allowed to check in unless registration fee is paid in full. Please see our Payment Policy and Refund Policy.
Additional important payment information:
- Payment options
- You may pay the entire fee during checkout. We accept payments by credit card, check, school purchase order, or via contributions to a MIPA SponsorMe fundraising campaign.
- To pay ONLY the deposit now — and the remaining balance later — follow these steps:
- At checkout, choose “Summer Workshop: Bill Now/Pay Later” as your payment method. Complete your checkout to submit your registration. You will receive an email confirmation.
- This email confirmation, as well as the order confirmation page, include information on how to pay the deposit.
- Go to https://mipamsu.org/payment to pay the required deposit via credit card, or mail a check to MIPA.
- Make any future payments via credit card at https://mipamsu.org/payment or via check mailed to MIPA.
- We will provide occasional updates via email about any remaining balance due.
- MIPA reserves the right to cancel any registration submitted without a deposit or other payment.
- Are you running a SponsorMe campaign to raise money toward your registration fee?
- At checkout choose “Apply SponsorMe Funds.” You will create an order for your registration, but will not need to make a payment at registration. Complete checkout. You will receive an email confirmation.
- We’ll periodically apply the money you’ve raised via SponsorMe to your balance due and give you an update.
- If you have not raised enough funds to cover the deposit, add the item below to your cart to pay the deposit online (or go to https://mipamsu.org/payment later), or mail a check to MIPA. MIPA reserves the right to cancel any registration submitted without a deposit or other payment.
Step 3: Complete the permission forms (click to expand)
MIPA will contact the participant and parent before the start of our program with information on how to complete required permission forms. These forms will need to be completed and returned to us before participants are allowed to check in.
Questions about registering?
- Call MIPA at 517-353-6761
- Email us at email@example.com
Select a Course
Youth participants may enroll in only one workshop course.
Whether you’re looking for ways to improve a class climate or rethink your media program’s coverage plan, this is the course that will challenge your skills and create opportunities moving you and your staff forward. Students taking this course should have been on the staff of a newspaper (print or online), yearbook, digital media or broadcast news program for at least a year.Register Learn More About This Course
Our award-winning team of professional photojournalists and journalism educators will show you how to become a stronger visual storyteller while mastering your camera.
Beyond the Basics
Photographers with little training or who don’t know how to use manual settings on their camera should explore Beyond the Basics.Register Learn More About This Course
Shoot Like a Pro
More experienced photographers who understand how to use the manual settings on their camera should explore Shoot Like a Pro.Register Learn More About This Course
Questions? Need assistance selecting a workshop course? Contact us