Thank you for being a member of the Michigan Interscholastic Press Association!
Your membership opens the door to a variety of benefits for you and your students. I hope you take advantage of each of them. They include:
- Journalism conferences
- Summer journalism camp for students
- MIPA adviser listserv, where teachers across the state share ideas. (We have separate listservs for journalism teachers, yearbook teachers and broadcast video teachers to help reduce clutter in your inbox.)
- Adviser mentorship program
- Training opportunities for advisers, including graduate-level course and opportunities to log professional development hours
- Contests and critique services to reward your students and get expert feedback
- Hotline for ethics, law and censorship issues
- And more!
I also hope you consider getting involved with MIPA by speaking at one of our conferences, participating in our contest judging day or joining one of our committees or running for a seat on our board. While we have a central office staff, MIPA is a volunteer-led organization. We need your help!
MIPA’s home is the School of Journalism at Michigan State University. While we are technically a separate organization from MSU, our close relationship helps us connect our adviser members with for-credit, graduate-level courses to further their education. MSU also offers a journalism master’s degree with a concentration in journalism education. I hope you consider enrolling in one of these exciting courses.
Links to information about some of MIPA’s core programs are included below. Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about any of our programs. My staff and I are here to help you. You can reach the MIPA office any time at [email protected] or 517-353-6761.