The Michigan Interscholastic Press Association is looking for dynamic, creative and dedicated MSU students to assist the executive director in running our nonprofit organization. These are paid positions. Positions may be structured to qualify as an internship for credit in your program of study.
MIPA is a nonprofit organization composed of Michigan scholastic journalism teachers and student media advisers and their students. The organization is committed to promoting and recognizing excellence in journalism at all levels through education, training and support of student journalists and their advisers. MIPA is housed in MSU’s School of Journalism.
Our student employees serve critical roles in MIPA’s operations, working with the executive director and each other to manage communication efforts, run programs, support our members and promote scholastic journalism activities in Michigan. Student employees are paid hourly through university payroll.
We will mold specific duties and responsibilities to the right candidates. Duties split among our student support staff may include:
- General Office Support
- Process transactions via MIPA’s e-commerce and accounting platforms (inputting and fulfilling orders, recording payments, sending payment invoices and receipts, etc.).
- Answering the phone, handling mail and managing supplies.
- Process, input, and organize contest entries.
- Track and maintain membership records.
- Prepare all individual award materials, including printing, organizing and distributing.
- Event Planning and Execution
- Assist with planning and coordinating MIPA events, including conferences, workshops, meetings, contests, etc. Most programming for the remainder of the 2021-22 school year is expected to occur online.
- Work as part of the MIPA team at major events.
- Provide support to the MIPA All-State Student Advisory Committee and its faculty adviser(s)
- Oversee MIPA’s presence on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok and other social media accounts, planning and posting content, ensuring regular engagement with followers and monitoring communication by other organizations of interest.
- Oversee production of our podcast, including guest research and scheduling, recording and editing, and other support as required.
- Assist with updating MIPA’s website, which runs on WordPress.
- Prepare and distribute news releases on organization activities.
- Assist in planning and preparing regular email communication to members and friends of the organization.
- Assist with creating promotional materials for the organization, including writing, editing and designing.
- MIPA’s office hours are 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday. Our office is located in the Communication Arts & Sciences Building. Some remote work (work from home) is possible.
- You should be prepared to work a minimum of 10 hours per week during the fall and spring semester. Up to 29 hours per week may be available during peak times. Hours will vary based on projects.
- Daily hours are flexible to work around class schedules.
- You should be available to work MIPA’s major events, including the fall and spring conferences and contest judging day (which is held the first Saturday of spring break).
- The ideal candidate will work for MIPA for the entire school year. Summer opportunities are available. MIPA hosts a weeklong summer program for youth in July/August.
- MIPA employees must pass an annual background check through university HR.
- Must be enrolled as an MSU student. Open to all majors.
- Exceptional customer service and communication skills.
- Experience setting up, updating and working with technology equipment is a plus.
- Knowledge of the issues facing scholastic journalism desired.
Please fill out the application by clicking the Apply Now button. Include a resume and cover letter explaining why you want to work at our program and a copy of your fall and spring class schedules (if available). List recent work and/or volunteer experience. Provide at least two references. Applications will be reviewed until all positions are filled.Apply Now
Back to Work for MIPA