- Submission Deadline: 11:59 p.m. May 8, 2018
- Topic Announced: April 23, 2018 at the Spring Awards event
- Official Contest Period: April 23-May 8, 2018
2018 Contest Information:
Create a short film no longer than 5 minutes related to the 2018 theme “In Motion.” Your film must include the following required elements:
- A squeaky dog toy
- A character must say, “I’m going to risk it all.”
FILM CHALLENGE RULES
- Entries must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on the contest deadline using MIPA’s online contest system.
- Entries should be uploaded via the student media adviser’s Submittable account.
- Cost: $3 per entry
- There is no limit on the number of teams per school, but each team can have a maximum of four students.
- Entries should be uploaded to a video file sharing service or website. Submit a URL to your entry using the contest entry form.
- Entries that cannot be accessed by the judges will be disqualified. This means that if your website or third-party file sharing service goes down, or if your content is locked behind a password, we cannot judge your entries.
- Entries may be published by MIPA in its newsletter, online or via social media.
- Use of copyrighted music, artwork, videos or other materials without written permission of the copyright holder may violate U.S. law and MIPA’s Copyright & Plagiarism Policy. Entries that violate MIPA’s Copyright & Plagiarism Policy will be disqualified.
- If music is used in the entry, you must submit a list of track titles used along with the name of the library/collection from which you obtained the music. You may provide this information either in a name-slate/title card in the video or via the entry form.
All creativity must take place during the “Official Contest Period.” Any creative work in advance of the competition weeks is prohibited. Creative work includes, but is not limited to:
- Writing the script
The only work to begin prior to the “Official Contest Period” is:
- Organizing Crew
- Organizing Reporters
All footage must be shot within the contest time period of the project. No stock footage or footage shot or created at another time may be used.
Animation and special effects are permitted, but must be created during the official contest period, (Note: Stock footage as part of a special effect in a third party special effects program is permissible if you own the copyright or have the required license to use.)
Still photographs are permitted, provided that the team has the rights to them. The photos do need to be created during the official contest period.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR ENTRY
In the Spring Contests menu, select from one of the following two options for the category you wish to enter:
- Pay Now – You will provide credit card information for each entry you submit.
- Pay by Invoice – Submit your entry, and then request an invoice for this and other contest entries to pay together.
- Mail payment to: MIPA, MSU School of Journalism, 404 Wilson Road, Room 305, East Lansing, MI 48824
PAY ENTRY FEES
You may pay entry fees by check, purchase order or credit card.
Payment by checks or purchase orders should be postmarked by the submission deadline. Credit card payments should be completed by the deadline. If your school is slow to process checks or purchase orders, plan ahead. You can always pay fees before you submit your entries.