We’re bringing experts and new ideas directly to you this fall via two online programs:
- MIPA Consultations: Live sessions with experts scheduled when it works for you
- MIPA Explorer On-Demand Library: A repository of more than 160 video lessons, with opportunities to earn MIPA badges by completing all the courses in a pathway.
Both of these opportunities are only available to MIPA members. Funds generated by these programs support MIPA’s operations and our other programming throughout the school year.
Bring a MIPA expert into your classroom live via video conference for a consultation on a specific topic or issue. MIPA will arrange session for your staff with one of our expert speakers based on your schedule, availability of our speakers and your desired content. Most sessions last 45-60 minutes and can be held during or after school. Consultation options include exclusive coaching sessions with only your students and non-exclusive seminar, roundtable or discussion sessions that include participants from other schools.
Possible topics might include:
- Theme Development on Theme Pages
- Visual/Verbal Theme Development on Interior Pages
- Writing Stronger Headlines
- Caption Writing
- Leadership 101
- Developing Staff Unity
- Designing and Using Mods
- Writing Staff Editorials
- Improving Online News
- Effective Use of Social Media
- Photo Critique
- How to Shoot Sports in a Gym
- Interviewing 101
- Critique of First Issue
- Critique of First Deadline Pages (YRBK)
- Editors Roundtable
- New Advisers Roundtable
|Exclusive coaching session with only your students||$30|
|Non-exclusive seminar, roundtable or discussion||$15|
Save $10 off your first consultation session when you also purchase access to the MIPA Explorer On-Demand Library.
We will bill you only after we’ve scheduled a consultation.
Request a MIPA Consultation
- MIPA matches your needs and schedule with our list of experts. Use our consultation request form to tell us your desired topic and preferred schedule. You may request multiple consultation sessions, but we give priority to programs arranging their first consultation. Some of our speakers have specific sessions they can present, while others can create a custom session to meet your needs.
- Sessions may be exclusive with students at your school or may, depending on the topic and time, include students from other schools.
- MIPA will invoice you for a consultation only after we’ve scheduled you with a speaker.
- Programs that also sign up for access to our MIPA Explorer On-Demand Library can save $10 off their first consultation.
- The consultation fee includes access for all of the students in your class or on your program’s staff.
- The adviser or another adult should be present for all consultations.
- Cancellations & Refunds: Requests for refunds or cancellations must be received five days in advance to avoid a charge.
- Some seminar-style sessions may be recorded and added to the MIPA Explorer On-Demand Library.
Lead a MIPA Consultation Session
We want you to lead a session with our students! MIPA Consultations can include coaching or critique sessions, Q&As about specific topics in your area of expertise and/or how-to sessions. We welcome scholastic and collegiate educators, journalists, media professionals and others with expertise in media-related topics. We’ll match your expertise and schedule with the needs of our member programs.
MIPA Explorer On-Demand Library
Explore journalism and media production from wherever you are, whenever you want, with the MIPA Explorer On-Demand Library. We’ve assembled more than 160 pre-recorded lessons, panels and how-to videos from many of the best speakers and scholastic media educators across the country. This on-demand library of materials will be available to you to use this entire school year.
MIPA Explorer is organized by topic to help you and your students find just what you’re looking for to supplement your lessons or learn about new topics. We’ve also curated small groups of lessons into learning pathways; complete all the lessons and accompanying quizzes in a pathway and earn a digital badge from MIPA!
Program materials are housed on MSU’s online course system, which requires event registration via MIPA’s website and creation of a user account on MSU’s system.
You can set up a single user account to share with all of your students or we’ll work with your students to help them set up their own accounts, which will let them earn badges as they complete lessons in our learning pathways.
MIPA Explorer On-Demand Library Access
Pay a single fee for all of your students: To make it easier for all students in your program to access MIPA Explorer, we’ve established a tiered fee structure based on the size of your media program staff, class or club. You’ll have access to MIPA Explorer materials for the rest of the school year!
- MIPA Explorer is available exclusively to MIPA members. Become a member or renew your membership now
- Advisers: Do you have additional materials to contribute to the MIPA Explorer On-Demand Library? You can add your lessons to our library to help others in MIPA. Contact Jeremy for more information.
- Cancellations & Refunds: Requests for refunds or cancellations must be received before you or students access the library.
Make your selection based on the size of the class(es) or staff(s) you will be using MIPA Explorer materials with this school year. Contact us if you have any questions.
|up to 9 students||$40|
- Are you an individual student or teacher not affiliated with a MIPA member school or media program? Contact us for information about how you might be able to access MIPA Explorer
MIPA Explorer On-Demand Library – Class or Staff Access$40.00 – $225.00
Contribution to the MIPA Fall Conference Student Support FundSuggested Price: $100.00
Please review our event policies. It is understood that by the act of registering students for an event, advisers assume responsibility for their students’ behavior and well-being during a MIPA activity.
MIPA Fall Conference Student Support Fund
If your program needs financial assistance to participate in this event, MIPA may be able to help. We’ve established a support fund to offer reduced price or free access to MIPA member programs in financial need. Learn more
MIPA Explorer Sponsors
We thank the following companies and organizations that supported the creation of the MIPA Explorer On-Demand Library:
- Michigan State University School of Journalism
- The Argus-Press
- SNO Sites
- Michigan Association of Broadcasters Foundation
- Michigan Press Association
- Quill & Scroll International Honor Society
- List of recorded presentations and presenters included in MIPA Explorer
- Step-by-step guide for advisers and students to access MIPA Explorer
- FAQ: MIPA Conferences & Events
- PLEASE REVIEW: MIPA conference, workshop and event policies
Special Needs & Accomodations
MIPA and MSU are committed to providing equal opportunity for participation in all programs, services and activities.
All MIPA Explorer video lessons include captions or a transcript.
Accommodations for persons with disabilities may be requested by contacting Jeremy Steele, MIPA executive director, at 517-353-6761 or [email protected] at least 10 business days prior to the start of our program so that we have time to make necessary arrangements. Requests received after this date will be honored whenever possible. More information about disability inclusion services at MSU can be found at https://www.rcpd.msu.edu/services/accommodations.
Professional aids and chaperones providing assistance to students with special needs do not need to pay registration fees.