Celebrate your year with MIPA!
We’re excited about celebrating journalism and presenting awards to Michigan students.
MIPA’s annual Spring Awards event is focused on awards — lots of awards! Most students will meet for the exciting awards presentation in the morning, while others will take part in the On-Site Contests.
Enjoy watching all of the awards MIPA will be presenting in the morning. They include Individual Category Contests for yearbook, newspaper, digital media and video production; Golden Pen; and MIPA’s all-state Student Journalist Staff!
Advisers are invited to join us for lunch and MIPA’s annual membership meeting.
Awards will continue in the afternoon and we’ll end with the Spartan Awards presentation.
- Lunch Options for Students
- Lansing Center Parking/Student Drop-off & Pickup
- Advertise in the Event Program
- FAQs about MIPA events
- PLEASE REVIEW: MIPA conference, workshop and event policies
Order Honor Cords
Outstanding graduating seniors at MIPA member student media outlets are invited to wear MIPA student media honor cords at graduation. The MIPA honor cord program is designed to be a select privilege to recognize academic achievement and superior work in journalism or school media. Cords must be ordered by student media advisers, who are responsible for verifying that students meet the spirit of this honors program.
- Pre-orders for pickup at the Spring Awards must be placed two weeks before the event date. MIPA cannot guarantee we will have enough cords in stock if you do not pre-order.
- Cords can be shipped directly to your school.
- Order cords or learn more
- News/feature video
- Still photography
Annual Meeting & Elections
Advisers, meet up with your adviser friends during the adviser luncheon and network with others throughout the day. The annual MIPA business meeting will take place at the luncheon, where we also will recognize winners of MIPA’s John V. Field Award for contributions to scholastic journalism and Administrator of the Year. Students have lunch on their own.
Elections for MIPA’s board will occur via email ballot AFTER the event. The field of candidates will be finalized at the annual meeting and members will receive report on the operations of the organization.
MIPA’s annual contests recognize students for their individual work and the collective work of their student media outlet. The organization also occasionally recognizes advisers, administrators and other supporters of scholastic journalism for their outstanding work.
- $13 per student (MIPA members)
- $15 per student (non-members)
- $25 per member adviser (includes lunch); $13 without lunch
- $30 per non-member adviser (includes lunch); $15 without lunch
- $13 per chaperone from member school attending awards event
- $15 per chaperone from nonmember school attending awards event
- $25 per person general admission
- Save $1 per student when you use coupon code SpringPayEarly AND pre-pay (payment should reach MIPA before the event date)
- Cancellations & Refunds: Cancellations must be received by 5 p.m. April 13 to receive a full refund. Registrations are transferable. Cancellations due to illness or changes in field trip rules due to COVID-19 response will receive a full refund. If this event is cancelled, registrations will be refunded in full.
Monday, April 20, 2020
Registration Opens: 8 a.m.
Individual Awards: 9-11 a.m.
Lunch: 11 a.m.-12:15 p.m.
Spartans Awards: 12:15-1 p.m.
333 E. Michigan Avenue
Lansing, Michigan 48833
Please review our event policies. It is understood that by the act of registering students for an event, advisers assume responsibility for their students’ behavior and well-being during a MIPA activity.
On-Site Video Contests
Students can compete during the awards event in news/feature video or cinematography on-site contests.
Sign up for contests with your event registration.