INDIVIDUAL VIDEO RUBRICS FOR ALL CATEGORIES EXCEPT 14-18 (AIRCHECKS)
Is it clear? Is there any audio distortion? Was the appropriate mic used? Is the mic properly placed? Is there a “popping” sound from the reporter? Does the audio fit the action/pace of the video? Is the volume consistent?
Is there obvious use of a tripod or is the video shaky? If no tripod was used, was it appropriate to shoot handheld? Is the color consistent? Have the shots been white-balanced? Are there different angles for a variety of shots? Are the shots framed well without cutting out important information? Do the shots have good lighting? Do shots “cross the line/axis”?
Is there an overuse of transitions? Does the piece have a good pace & flow? Are there any errors in continuity and/or screen direction? Are there any lagging lulls and/or jump cuts? Are any of your shots/scenes unnecessary?
GRAPHICS/CG (if any)
Is the text a good size, good color, and within the safe title area? Does the text appear long enough for the audience to read? Does the graphic(s) have any spelling/grammar errors? Are graphics/chromakeys clean?
INDIVIDUAL VIDEO RUBRICS FOR AIRCHECKS (Categories 14-18)
*Judges will assume the clips you include are your BEST.*
- RATE OF SPEECH (Do you talk too fast/slow?)
- COMMUNICATION OF IDEAS (Do we understand what you’re talking about?)
- COMMUNICATION OF EMOTION (Do you use voice fluctuation? Do you have emotion in your voice? Are you monotone?)
- MIC WEAKNESS (Is your microphone too close or too far? Do we hear the sound of your paper script?)
- SINCERITY (Do you come across as being genuine?)
- NATURALNESS (Do we enjoy listening to you? Does it sound like you know what you’re doing?)
- CREDIBILITY (Does it sound like YOU know what you’re talking about? Do you give credit to any sources that might be applicable?)
- PROFESSIONAL ATTIRE (Are you dressed appropriately? Tuxedos and prom dresses aren’t necessary, but t-shirts and jeans aren’t appropriate either.)
- OVERALL IMPRESSION
If the video does not meet the specific time requirement (such as the 30/45/60s rule for PSAs & Commercials) (not including any black/slates before or after the video itself).
If the video does not meet the category description.
If the video includes copyrighted music.