9 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Friday, March 16 | Michigan State University
MIPA’s One Day Workshops provide students and advisers a chance to take their skills to the next level. Spend a day at the Michigan State University School of Journalism getting hands-on training in a variety of skill areas for student media outlets.
Take the time to learn the tools you’ve been meaning to get to all year. The One Day Workshops also are a great way to train new staff members and leaders to prepare for next year.
Enrollment is limited, so don’t wait until the last minute to register!
Bring your own lunch or add lunch for only $5 to your workshop registration.
InDesign for Publications
Instructor: Cody Harrell, East Lansing HS
- Using tools
- Placing text and graphics
- Formatting text
- Importing photos
- Designing a basic page
- Using grids effectively
- Selecting type
- Using libraries and styles
CANCELLED – Newspaper (re)Design Clinic
Instructor: C.E. Sikkenga, Grand Haven HS
This course is intended for students who are fairly new to design and want to start working on the design of their publications for the 2017-18 school year. The course will focus on three main areas:
- First part of the course will be a basic intro to design theory that will give you a vocabulary you can use with each other and your staffs.
- From there we will look at what’s trending in publication design right now and discuss how these techniques can be adapted to a variety of coverage concepts.
- In the last portion of the class, we will give you time to work in teams on some design/redesign ideas for your publication with the chance to get input from an instructor.
Bring copies of your paper as well as any inspiration pages from other publications.
Instructor: Ike Lea, Photographic Imaging Department, Lansing Community College
- Toning photos for publication
- Sizing photos for resolution
- Organizing files
- Creating cutouts
Building Next Year’s Staff
Instructor: Ava Butzu, Grand Blanc HS, & Shari Adwers, Grosse Pointe North HS
Back by popular demand! This class will help advisers and future editors prepare for the year ahead.
One-Day, Your Way!
Spartan Work Room
Room Moderator: TBA
Need some time away from school for yourself or a small group of student journalists to get an important project done? Bring your work to the Spartan Work Room!
- Take some time for a special project while your students pick up skills in our other workshop courses.
- Bring your future media leaders together to plan and prepare for next year.
- Work by yourself, or tap into help from other advisers. Our work room will be staffed by advisers from award-winning yearbooks and newspapers who are there to help you, if needed, meet your goals for the day.
- Share resources in an informal way with our expert advisers and other participants on leadership development, grading, lesson-planning, deadline management and more.
- Computer lab space available. A limited number of small meeting rooms also are available by request for a fee. (Tell us your needs when registering.)
- Free for individual advisers.
- Small groups can use the Work Room for free if you have a student enrolled in any of our other workshop courses.
- $25 fee for private meeting rooms. (Private meeting space is available on a first-come, first-serve basis.)
- Tell us your project and any special needs when registering!
- $35 per person from a MIPA member school
- $45 per person from a non-MIPA member school
- Advisers, attend one of our courses free when you bring five students! (Lunch not included.) Members: Use discount code adviserfree35 when registering. Non-members: Use discount code adviserfree45 when registering. Make sure you include yourself in the registration count for the class of your choice.
- Free for individual advisers
- $35 per group for small groups. Use the work room for free if students enroll in any of our hands-on workshop courses!
- $25 for a private meeting room
Registration: 8-9 a.m.
Morning Class Session: 9-11:30 a.m.
Lunch: 11:30 a.m.-Noon
Afternoon Class Session: Noon-1:30 p.m.
Departure: 1:30 p.m.
- $5 per person
- Includes pizza, pop, chips and a cookie
- If you want to bring your own lunch, that’s OK, too
Michigan State University Communication Arts & Sciences Building
404 Wilson Road
East Lansing, MI 48824
Directions and parking information for MSU’s Communication Arts & Sciences Building
- Cars: 90 cents per half hour via MSU’s Pay by Plate system. Learn more and get the Spot On parking app
- Buses: Free bus parking available nearby in the commuter lot at Mt. Hope Road and Farm Lane