Photojournalism for Publication Advisers
JRN 808, Section 301
Three credits or Non-Credit Workshop
Location: Comm Arts Building, MSU, East Lansing
Dates: July 23–27, 2012
Instructor: Julie Price
Ultimate goal: To get better results from your student photographers! If you know how a camera works and how to make it work for you, you will be able to teach your students. You will learn how to work with a camera with manual controls (digital SLR or digital camera with adjustable shutter speed and aperture). Other major concentrations will be on photo content and composition, basic electronic flash techniques and how to effectively cover events and activities. Projects will include covering sports, student life and other activities around the Michigan State University campus. In addition, you will learn the basics of uploading your images from a digital camera to the computer to be worked with in Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Lightroom.
You will be evaluated on your ability to meet minimum standards and objectives for the photo assignments completed during the workshop. Each student will also complete a project following the workshop, which will be evaluated. Workshop photo assignments — 80 percent/post-workshop project – 20 percent. Attendance at all sessions is required.
The class will meet for the first time on Monday, July 23, at 9 a.m. Class periods will be 9 a.m to noon and 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. The class will be over at 2 p.m. on Friday. There will be a closing luncheon at noon. Evenings will be used for homework and open lab use.
- A Short Course in Digital Photography, by Barbara London & Jim Stone
- Can be ordered at Amazon.com.
- Digital single lens reflex camera with built-in light meter and adjustable focus, aperture and shutter speeds, or digital camera with adjustable shutter speed and aperture. (Note: A working manual camera is required for this course. Bring the instruction manual if you have it. A limited number of digital SLRs will be available to borrow during the class. Contact Julie Price, [email protected], if you are interested in borrowing a camera.)
- Camera batteries
- Electronic flash, optional (with instruction manual)
- Tripod (optional)
- Three-ring binder for handouts
- USB jump (thumb, flash) drive or portable hard drive to hold images
- Digital media card(s)
- Battery charger
- Digital card reader or cables
- External drive or flash drive
Registration: To indicate your desire to register for this course for credit, please go here: https://mipamsu.wufoo.com/forms/2012-summer-adviser-courses/
Please be sure to check out other steps you might need to do before you are registered into the class on this page.