Membership in MIPA runs the academic year and is open to student media outlets at public, private and parochial high schools, middle schools and junior highs. These media outlets should be under the direction of an adviser or a teacher who is associated with the school’s media or journalism program. Join by the Oct. 1 to save $5 per student media program.
Benefits for Student Media Program Members
MIPA provides a host of services for advisers and students, including:
- Fall and spring conferences with top-notch speakers for students to learn practical information they need to create great media and to learn about issues and careers in journalism.
- A summer workshop for students featuring specific courses in online, newspaper, yearbook, broadcast, design, writing and photography.
- Hands-on workshops where students can learn the latest journalism techniques.
- A “hotline” for legal problems student media outlets may face.
- A mentorship program for new and inexperienced advisers.
- A liaison between Michigan’s longest continuously accredited journalism school and middle/high schools.
- Professional development activities for student media advisers and opportunities for teachers can relax, exchange ideas and attend informative work sessions.
- A website and regular communication to keep the membership informed about key programs and issues in scholastic media.
- An evaluation/contest service for newspapers, yearbooks, broadcast programs and websites for the Spartan Award, the highest award MIPA presents to student media outlets, plus an individual category contest for newspapers, yearbooks, broadcast productions and online student media.
- Hall of Fame for student media with longstanding traditions of excellence.
- Access to MIPA’s student media honor cord program to recognize graduating seniors for academic achievement and superior work in journalism or school media.
- Access to MIPA’s Student Journalist Staff and Aspiring Journalist contests to recognize outstanding individual students.
- Reduced fees for MIPA events, including conferences and workshops.