To: MIPA Yearbook Advisers
Subject: 2014-15 MIPA Contests for 2014 Yearbooks
From: Jeremy Steele, MIPA director
- NEW THIS YEAR! Some of our yearbook categories will be moving to a MIPA’s Web-based digital submission system, joining newspaper, video and digital media categories. All entries in categories #1-26 must be submitted via this system. Paper submissions in these categories will not be accepted. Please pay special attention to the directions in each category you enter so that you submit the proper file format.
- MIPA has created a new Spartan Critique Seal of Distinction that may appear on all levels of critique awards for media not subject to prior review. Learn more
- Please go to the MIPA website to get all contest information. You can find all contest information by clicking on the Contests & Awards menu at the top of the page.
- All awards will be presented at the MIPA Spring Awards & On-Site Contests event in April 2015 at the Lansing Center. If you are unable to attend, you may pay an added postage fee to have awards mailed to you. This fee can be paid at any time – even after the event.
- It’s important to carefully read category descriptions and contest rules. Failure to follow contest directions may result in your entries being disqualified.
- Save 10 percent on your Yearbook Individual Category Contest entries if you submit by July 15 for spring-delivery books or Nov. 15 for fall-delivery books. The regular contest deadline is Feb. 20, 2015.
- IF YOU HAVE NOT JOINED MIPA BY THE CONTEST DEADLINE, YOUR STUDENT MEDIA OUTLET WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE TO ENTER THE CONTESTS. Membership information, including a member list that is updated weekly, is available at www.mipamsu.org/membership. Membership in MIPA runs the academic year, and all 2013-14 members are eligible to enter for the July Spartan deadline (but we would be happy now to renew your membership for 2014-15).
- All entries must be submitted by the deadline to be eligible for awards. Entries submitted by mail must be postmarked by the deadline. Entries submitted electronically must be uploaded to MIPA using the contest submission system by 11:59 p.m. on the deadline day. Payment is due by the same deadline.
- Please keep in mind that our Judging Day is Saturday, March 7. Individual Category Contest entries MUST REACH US BY MARCH 6 OR THEY WILL NOT GET INTO THE INDIVIDUAL CONTEST, regardless of postmark!
- DO NOT RELY ON YOUR CENTRAL ADMINISTRATION OFFICE TO MAIL YOUR CONTEST ENTRY PACKET! It’s best to go to the post office yourself and mail the package! It is too important to you and to your students to risk letting it go through school mail. And to be even more sure (especially if you are mailing it on the deadline day), ask to see the postmark on the package and then get a receipt. We also recommend you get a tracking number.
- Please keep a copy of each of the forms that you send for your records. Also, please don’t hesitate to contact the MIPA office if you have questions at 517-353-6761 or [email protected].
- A Cut Above, MIPA’s annual publication of newspaper and yearbook contest winners, is available at our website. This publication features a selection of first-place winners from every yearbook and newspaper category in the 2013 contest to help you get an idea of what judges are looking for.
Please note: All fees must accompany contest entries, or entries will not be included in the judging.
*It is possible to send in Yearbook Spartan contest entries up to one month late (postmarked by Aug. 15 for spring books and Dec. 15 for fall books) for an additional $40 fee. Spartan submissions postmarked after the late deadline may receive a critique, but will not be eligible to receive an award ranking. Late entries will not be accepted for the Individual Category Contests.
Find these materials at mipamsu.org
These are the items you will find at the MIPA website on the contest page. Look for the Contests & Awards menu at the top of the page:
- Spartan Yearbook Journalism Critique Application
- Information on the Spartan Critique Seal of Distinction
- How to Get a Re-Evaluation
Individual Category Contests
- How To: Using MIPA’s Contest Submission System
- Call for Judges for Judging Day on March 7, 2015
- A Cut Above
- MIPA Copyright and Plagiarism Policy
- Individual Category Yearbook Contest Information*
*Your yearbook staff may also be able to enter categories in the other areas of MIPA’s contest (Newspaper, Video and Digital Media). Information on those areas will be available in December. No entry may be submitted in more than one category across all MIPA contest areas.