- This standalone contest has been discontinued. Best Newscast is now included in the Individual Category Contest.
Students will submit one broadcast of school news, which is typical of their school news program, produced during the current academic year. Judges may only view 10 minutes of any broadcast. (If your entry is longer than 10 minutes, you may indicate on the entry form which 10-minute segment should be judged. Otherwise, judges will view from the beginning of the entry.) Students will be judged on the technical standards detailed in MIPA’s Video Best Practices and news content. For example: Does the program directly impact the school itself? This newscast must have been created in the current school year.
MIPA may separate newscasts into divisions for this competition, depending on the number of entries, based on school enrollment, newscast frequency, live vs. taped or similar characteristics.
BEST NEWSCAST RULES
- Entry must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on the contest deadline using MIPA’s online contest system.
- Entry should be uploaded via the student media adviser’s Submittable account.
- Cost: $3 per entry
- Limit 1 entry per MIPA member student media outlet.
- Entries should be uploaded to a video file sharing service or website. Submit a URL to your entry using the contest entry form.
- Entries that cannot be accessed by the judges will be disqualified. This means that if your website or third-party file sharing service goes down, or if your content is locked behind a password, we cannot judge your entries.
- Entries may be published by MIPA in its newsletter, online or via social media.
- Use of copyrighted music, artwork, videos or other materials without written permission of the copyright holder may violate U.S. law and MIPA’s Copyright & Plagiarism Policy. Entries that violate MIPA’s Copyright & Plagiarism Policy will be disqualified.
- If music is used in the entry, you must indicate the source of the music.
SUBMIT YOUR ENTRY
Are you ready to submit an entry for this contest? (Don’t forget to also pay entry fee. You’ll get a chance to do so when you submit your entry. But you can also pay the entry fee at any time from this page below.)
PAY ENTRY FEE
You may pay entry fees by check, purchase order or credit card. Payment by checks or purchase orders should be postmarked by the submission deadline. Credit card payments should be completed by the deadline. If your school is slow to process checks or purchase orders, plan ahead. You can always pay fees before you submit your entries.