About the Event
Immerse yourself in journalism on Monday, Oct. 16, at the 2017 MIPA Fall Conference! Join nearly 2,000 student journalists and media advisers from across the state to learn from top journalism educators and professional journalists. Pick from nearly 80 breakout sessions to help you hone your skills in writing, editing, photography, video, yearbook, design, social media AND MORE!
- Nationally recognized journalism adviser Mitch Eden will be MIPA’s featured speaker at the 2017 Fall Conference
- Event schedule
- Get the MIPA Guidebook app for your mobile device for details and updates
- View session details via Guidebook in your web browser
- Download a draft of the 1-page grid to print (PDF) Please note: We expect the schedule will change. Get an updated copy when you check-in or refer to the app.
- Information for Sponsors & Vendors
- Reserve a table at the MIPA College Journalism & Media Fair
- Lunch Options for Students
- Lansing Center Parking/Student Drop-off & Pickup
- FAQ: MIPA Conferences & Events
- PLEASE REVIEW: MIPA conference, workshop and event policies
- Breakout Sessions: 9 – 9:45
- Breakout Sessions: 9:55 – 10:40
- Breakout Sessions: 10:50 – 11:35
- Lunch: 11:35 – 1
- Breakout Sessions: 1– 1:45
MIPA offers more than 20 different sessions during breakout times.
Spartan Level Sponsors
Green & White Level Sponsors
- The Argus-Press
- Herff Jones
- MIPA Summer Journalism Workshop at Michigan State University
- Reserve your exhibitor space
Scheduled College Journalism & Media Fair Participants
- Michigan State University
- School of Journalism
- Honors College
- The State News
- Media Sandbox
- Central Michigan University
- Central Michigan Life
- School of Broadcast & Cinematic Arts
- Ferris State University, Journalism and Technical Communications/Technical and Professional Communications and the Ferris State Torch newspaper
- Washtenaw Community College
- Wayne State University
- Journalism Institute for Media Diversity + Free Press Summer Apprentice Program
- The South End
- Reserve a table in the college fair area
- $13 per student (MIPA members)
- $15 per student (non-members)
- $25 per member adviser (includes lunch); $13 without lunch
- $30 per non-member adviser (includes lunch); $15 without lunch
- $50 per person general admission
- Save $1 per student when you pre-pay by Oct. 9
- Cancellations & Refunds: Cancellations must be received by Oct. 9 to receive a refund
Monday, Oct. 16, 2017
9 a.m.-1:45 p.m.
333 E. Michigan Avenue
Lansing, Michigan 48833
Please review our event policies. It is understood that by the act of registering students for an event, advisers assume responsibility for their students’ behavior and well-being during a MIPA activity.
Bring copies of your newspaper and yearbook to exchange with other student media outlets! For Newspapers: We’ll have a table set up near the registration desk where you can put newspapers out to share. For Yearbooks: Bring up to three copies of your book and trade them for the same number of yearbooks from other schools. You’ll give your books to us when when you check in and pick up copies of other books after lunch.
Bring copies of your newspaper, current yearbook work or a flash drive of your video production to the MIPA Fall Conference for a critique. You’ll meet with a media professional or with an adviser who has built a reputation of excellence in scholastic journalism. Critiques are scheduled by appointment. Check back here for information on how to sign up online ahead of the conference, or register when you check in for remaining critique spots.
When you arrive at the Fall Conference, check-in at the critique area near the Registration desk to confirm or schedule your appointment.
Request an on-site critique using this online form, or stop at the critique desk when you arrive.