Is your student media outlet only published online? Our Writing, Leadership, Creative Design & Graphic Illustration, Broadcast TV, Yearbook and Photography classes are a great fit to build your journalism skills.
WEBSITE BOOST CAMP
Website Boost Camp – Tracy Anderson | Learn about MIPA’s instructors
From the beginning steps of going online to redesigning your existing site, this class is what you need to take your online presence to the next level! Students will be broken into groups based on the needs of their student media outlets. Every student will have a chance to sit with a professional news Web designer from SNO who will help make their vision a reality. Students in the Boost Camp will be able to:
- Work with a news Web professional to create or redesign their website
- Examine digital reporting and news website trends
- Explore ways to improve your work flow and make your website better
- Create interactive content, including infographics, polls and timelines for your website
- Integrate digital storytelling tools with your site, including video, blogs, podcasts, photo galleries and more
- Use social media to tell stories and promote your work
THE UPSTART STAFF
The Upstart – Instructor: Jim Streisel | Learn about MIPA’s instructors
The Upstart is the official student media outlet of MIPA’s Summer Journalism Workshop. This elite group of student journalists covers the workshop and learns advanced journalism techniques. It’s a great experience for juniors, seniors and recent graduates looking to hone their skills, pick up some great clips and see what it’s like to live on a Big Ten college campus for five days.
- Use advanced digital storytelling techniques
- Get clips you can use for college, scholarship and internship applications
- The Upstart is designed for students with journalism experience
- Open to advanced students and recent graduates entering their freshman year of college
See work from last year’s Upstart staff
Are you an experienced member of your student media staff or just graduated from high school?
You might be interested in joining the staff of The Upstart, MIPA’s workshop student media outlet. Get great hands-on experience and learn the latest trends in journalism.