MIPA’s Social Media Challenges are designed to help media programs develop and grow their social media presence on major platforms. All MIPA member programs are invited to participate. There is no entry free, although MIPA may limit the number of entries from each program. (See rules.)
Each participating staff member will earn a MIPA Badge. MIPA’s Social Media Challenge are not traditional contests with placed winners. However, our coaches may select outstanding examples of work for Special Recognition.
These challenges are intended to push a staff to build their social media presence and innovate
Follow the directions carefully.
- Set some goals for your staff. By the end of each challenge period, what do you want to have accomplished?
- Follow some of your favorite news sources on various social media platforms. Make observations about what they are doing and use your observations to improve your posts!
- Think critically about how to use each social media platform differently to match the features, characteristics and audience of each platform.
- Look at what other student media programs are doing. Here is a link to a National Scholastic Press Association “Best Use of Social Media” contest with lots of great examples.
- Social media tips from the experts:
- What other tips can you find for how student media programs are successfully using social media? What can you learn from the ways that students use this platform personally?
2022-23 Digital Media Days
Fight the winter blues, and do some digital media!
- Challenge period: Nov. 14, 2022-Jan. 31, 2023
- Entry deadline: 11:59 p.m. Jan. 31, 2023
Lesson Plan Idea
Break your staff up into groups, and have each group work on one of MIPA’s digital media contest categories. Put together a slideshow with all of your work in it and submit it to MIPA by Jan. 31 to earn the 2022-2023 Digital Media Explorer Badge. Label each slide with the Digital Media category (DM-02, etc.). Each student who participates will earn a badge.
Our objective is to get students engaged on social media! Judging criteria is included with each category to help students create quality content. These are the criteria that will be used for our state contests, and we encourage you to enter the content your staff creates to earn this badge into our state contest in February!
Who Can Do It
Any MIPA member program is invited to submit! You can have one student do the work, a group of students, or everyone on your staff. You can submit as many work examples as you want on your slideshow, and you can submit multiple entries into each category. All students who participate in creating content will earn a MIPA Badge! The more entries you include, the more you will have to enter in our state competition.
SEVEN of ELEVEN
In order to earn a 2022-2023 Digital Media Explorer Badge, your submission needs to include examples from at least seven of the following categories! You MUST have at least one audio and one video category represented:
- DM-01. Breaking News Social Media Coverage
- DM-02. News or Feature Social Media Coverage
- DM-03. Personality Profile Social Media Coverage
- DM-04. Sports News Social Media Coverage
- DM-05. Social Media Video
- DM-06. Social Media Promotion
- DM-07. Audio News Feature Story
- DM-08. Audio Interview
- DM-09. Podcast
- DM-10. Video Interview
- DM-11. Multimedia Story Package
- View descriptions and judging criteria for all categories
How to Enter
- Make a Google Slides presentation with all of the content you produced during the challenge period. Make sure your Google Slides share settings allow anyone with the link to view your presentation.
- Pick your best example from each of the seven or more categories in which you created content and explain what makes it the best in a few sentences. (This description should appear on the slide with the work example.)
- Submit a link to your slides to the entry form.
- Download MIPA’s template to to list all students who helped create content for this entry. Upload your copy of this spreadsheet with your entry form.
Entry FormSubmit Your Entry
- Limit 1 entry per MIPA member student media program Renew or Join An entry is the slidedeck showing all your work examples.
- Entries must be submitted to the contest entry form as a link to a web-based Google Slides slide deck.
- Work must be created and published during the challenge period.
- Entries may be published by MIPA in its newsletter, online or via social media.
- Entry materials that cannot be accessed will be disqualified. Make sure your content is not locked behind a password.
- Entries that violate MIPA’s Copyright & Plagiarism Policy are not eligible for special recognition.