Please review the information on this page before using the Submit Entries links below.
- Deadline: Feb. 16, 2018
- 2017 Yearbook Early Deadlines
- Spring Delivery: July 15
- Fall Delivery: Nov. 15
General Contest Rules & Information
- The MIPA office receives thousands of contest entries in this contest. You can help us by carefully reading all instructions and category descriptions. Entries that do not meet contest requirements will be disqualified.
- Please review the Call for Entries for the Student Media (released in early December) and/or Yearbook categories (released in late May).
- Entries should have been published or broadcast by a MIPA member student media outlet from Feb. 18, 2017, to Feb. 16, 2018, or slated for broadcast.
- Each Michigan-based MIPA member student media outlet may submit up to two (2) entries in each category, unless otherwise noted.
- No entry may be submitted into more than one category, unless otherwise noted in the category description. A single entry in more than one category may be disqualified in all categories. If an entry was published via multiple platforms (ie, print, online and/or broadcast), it should be entered only once.
- All entries should be submitted via MIPA’s web-based contest submission system, unless otherwise indicated. Entries by mail will only be accepted for Yearbook categories #27-32, which are entered by mailing one book to MIPA. (This must be a separate book from a Spartan Critique submission.) Entries by mail must arrive in the MIPA office by judging day, regardless of postmark.
- No more than four students may be named on each entry.
- Review each category description for information on required publication types (print, online, video, etc), acceptable file formats and other requirements. Incomplete entries or entries submitted into the wrong category may be disqualified. The MIPA office is not able to decide into which category an entry should go.
- Video and audio entries should be no longer than five minutes, unless otherwise noted. Time requirements do not include name slates, countdowns, etc. Video and audio should be hosted on your own website or by a file sharing service such as YouTube, Vimeo, Soundcloud, etc. Check to be sure your entry is not locked behind a password or set to private. Entries that are not publicly viewable on judging day may be disqualified.
- Entries must be submitted by the deadline shown above. Submissions by mail for limited yearbook categories must be postmarked by the deadline. Late entries will not be accepted. The contest system automatically shuts down after 11:59 p.m. on the deadline.
- Payment should be made by the submission deadline. Checks or purchase orders should be postmarked by this date. Credit card payments should be completed by this date. If your school is slow to process checks or purchase orders, plan ahead! You can always pay fees before you submit your entries.
- Use of copyrighted music, artwork, videos or other materials without written permission of the copyright holder may violate U.S. law and MIPA’s Copyright & Plagiarism Policy. Entries that violate MIPA’s Copyright & Plagiarism Policy will be disqualified. If you feel your entry may be questioned by a judge, please include a note with the entry confirming the source of the material and/or permission to use it.
- Please note: If any music is included in an entry, the entrant must indicate the title(s) of the track(s) used and the source of the music. This information should include the specific music service library, such as Audioblocks, Soundzabound, Digital Juice, etc., or another specific source (such as URL) that could be used to verify that you have appropriately used this work.
- Please check your entries carefully before submitting them! Also, please remember that this is strictly a contest and not a critique service. All contest entries may be published by MIPA for non-commercial purposes and to promote MIPA educational activities. Winners of this contest will be announced at the MIPA Spring Awards & On-Site Contests in April. Winning work may be showcased on MIPA’s website or other MIPA publications.
- Student media outlets entering this contest will compete in divisions. For Yearbook categories, divisions are based on the page count of books, with middle schools competing in their own division. For other categories, divisions are based on school enrollment. Divisions are determined by MIPA’s Yearbook, Newspaper, Video and Digital Media Chairs. Each division will have roughly the same number of schools. Divisions may be combined in any category based on the number of entries, at the descretion of the chairs.
Just for Yearbooks
- 2017 Yearbook Contest Information – includes Spartan Critique & Individual Category Contest Forms (PDF)
- 2017 Yearbook Individual Category Contest Categories & Forms (PDF)
- 2017 Yearbook Summary Sheet (PDF)
- 2017 Yearbook Entry Form by Mail – Categories 27-32 (PDF)
- 2017 Yearbook Contest System Entry Worksheet – Categories 1-26 (PDF)
- Yearbooks that have a website or produce multimedia or video content should also review other categories in the Individual Category Student Media Contest. See Entry Information for All Student Media.
For Newspapers, Video Productions, Websites & Yearbooks
- 2017-18 Student Media Contest Information — includes Spartan Critique, Individual Category Contest Category Information & All Forms (PDF)
- 2017-18 Student Media Individual Contest Categories & Forms (PDF)
- MIPA Video Best Practices
Paying Entry Fees
You may pay entry fees by check, purchase order or credit card.
Payment by checks or purchase orders should be postmarked by the submission deadline. Credit card payments should be completed by the deadline. If your school is slow to process checks or purchase orders, plan ahead. You can always pay fees before you submit your entries.
To request an invoice for all entries and critique service fees:
- Click the orange Submit Entries button below. Each category name in the contest system will include “Pay by Invoice” in the title.
- Tally your entries and complete the MIPA Contest Payments form.
- MIPA will process your request an email you an invoice.
To pay for each entry by credit card as you submit it:
- You may pay as you submit each entry. Click the green Submit Entries button below. Each category name in the contest system will include “Pay Now” in the title. You will be asked to enter credit card information each time you submit an entry. (This is a good option if you only have a few entries.)
Select from these options to submit entries
How to Submit Your Entries
- Review the Contest General Rules & Information on this page.
- Submit entries for most MIPA contests using the web-based contest system. Use mail-in entry forms ONLY for designated Yearbook categories and Spartan Newspaper and Yearbook critiques.
- Please review the instructions for each category about acceptable file formats of entry materials. Some categories require only a URL to the entry material while others require you to upload a specific file type (such as .PDF or .JPG). Double-check to ensure any URLs work and that your content is not blocked behind a password.
- Entries must be submitted by the contest deadline. The contest system will automatically shut down at 11:59 p.m. on the contest deadline.
- You must pay contest fees by the submission deadline. See payment information.
- To start, select whether you plan to create an invoice to make a single payment for all contest entries or whether you want to pay as you submit each entry.
- Select which category you plan to enter.
- Log into the Submittable.com contest system
- FIRST-TIMER USERS:
- The adviser will be prompted to create a free account in the submission system (accounts carry over from year to year) before uploading your first contest entry. ENTRIES SHOULD BE SUBMITTED FROM AN ACCOUNT USING THE ADVISER’S NAME! That’s how both you and MIPA can track all of your entries. Do not allow students to create their own accounts for individual contest and Spartan entries!
- RETURNING USERS: Log in to access your account.
- FIRST-TIMER USERS:
- Fill out the entry form as directed.
- Submit payment.