Spartan Contest Information
MIPA will ship your print newspaper or newsmagazine (three issues) to an out-of-state judge who will evaluate it against the standards provided by the MIPA Spartan critique booklet. Participating media outlets receive a Bronze, Silver, Gold or Spartan Award — MIPA’s highest honor — based on how well they meet MIPA’s student media standards. Winners of the Spartan Award will be recognized at the Spring Awards & On-Site Contests in April.
The critique booklet with judge’s comments will be emailed to you in a PDF format after the awards event. Newspapers or newsmagazines are only returned if annotated. Contact the MIPA office if you have any questions. Please read the entry materials for other requirements.
A note about contests
MIPA strongly encourages administrators, students and teachers to participate in a range of competitions to evaluate how well a student media outlet meets course objectives and professional standards. Judging in any single contest or rating service is a subjective process, and each has slightly different rules, deadlines and entry criteria. Each critique you receive can be an important educational tool for the classroom, but no single contest can provide a complete assessment of the quality of a program. That’s why MIPA strongly discourages the use of our contests and critiques, regardless of the outcome of that contest or critique, in teacher evaluations.
Postmark Deadline: Feb. 17, 2017
Late Deadline: March 17, 2017*
*Add $40 late fee. Entries postmarked after the late deadline are not eligible for award rankings.
- 2016-17 Spartan Newspaper entry form (PDF)
- View the Spartan Newspaper Critique Booklet (PDF)
- Seal of Distinction certification form (PDF) – Learn more about this new MIPA program
- You must send in three (3) issues of your newspaper or newsmagazine from the current academic year along with the entry form. Issues do not need to be consecutive. See form for details.
- You are encouraged to include an adviser’s statement memo to the judge detailing any special school situations, concerns or problems with the publication’s production.
- The entry fee is $40. Please make check payable to MIPA or pay online. If you are paying for several items – such as membership dues or individual contest entries – with the same check, please include an itemized list of those payments.
- For an additional fee of $40, the judge will annotate your newspapers or newsmagazines for you. That means the judge will write on the publication as well as fill out the critique booklet.
- You may turn in your publication up to one-month late (see deadlines above) for an additional $40, but late entries will result in delays in getting your critique back from the judge. Entries received after the late deadline will receive a critique, but are not eligible for award rankings.
- You may ship your Spartan entry in the same package other MIPA contest entries. However, please separate those contests in clearly labeled envelopes within your package.
- Send entries, fee and form to:
MSU School of Journalism
404 Wilson Road, Room 305
East Lansing, MI 48824