Spartan Contest Information
MIPA will send your Spartan entry to an out-of-state judge who will evaluate it against the standards provided by the MIPA Spartan critique booklet. Participating media outlets receive a Bronze, Silver, Gold or Spartan Award — MIPA’s highest honor — based on how well they meet MIPA’s student media standards. Winners of the Spartan Award will be recognized at the Spring Awards & On-Site Contests in April.
The critique booklet with judge’s comments will be emailed to you in a PDF format after the awards event. Newspapers or newsmagazines are only returned if annotated. Contact the MIPA office if you have any questions. Please read the entry materials for other requirements.
A note about contests
MIPA strongly encourages administrators, students and teachers to participate in a range of competitions to evaluate how well a student media outlet meets course objectives and professional standards. Judging in any single contest or rating service is a subjective process, and each has slightly different rules, deadlines and entry criteria. Each critique you receive can be an important educational tool for the classroom, but no single contest can provide a complete assessment of the quality of a program. That’s why MIPA strongly discourages the use of our contests and critiques, regardless of the outcome of that contest or critique, in teacher evaluations.
Postmark Deadline: Feb. 16, 2018
Late Deadline: March 16, 2018*
*Add $40 late fee. Entries postmarked after the late deadline are not eligible for award rankings.
Select from these options to submit your video production
- Complete the online entry form. You must have a Google account to use this entry form.
- You are encouraged to include an adviser’s statement memo to the judge detailing any special school situations, concerns or problems with the production.
- Entry materials must have been produced during the current academic school year. See entry form for details. Your entry MUST include three (3) newscasts. Please submit each newscast separately; no combined reels. Submissions should be from their original air/uploaded date, and they should be as they aired (ie, no editing afterward).
- Your news programs should be uploaded to the video hosting service of your choice. Submit URLs to the contest via the contest entry form.
- The entry fee is $40. Please make check payable to MIPA or pay online. If you are paying for several items – such as membership dues or individual contest entries – with the same check, please include an itemized list of those payments.
- You may turn in your entry up to one-month late (see deadlines above) for an additional $40, but late entries will result in delays in getting your critique back from the judge. Entries received after the late deadline will receive a critique, but are not eligible for award rankings.
- To complete payment by mail, use our contest payment form to create an invoice for yourself or your business office.