Download a 1-page flyer
ONLINE: Next scheduled – Summer 2018
Photojournalism for Advisers
JRN 808, Section 730: Journalism Education Visual Topics
July 5 to Aug. 18 • Take this class for 3 graduate-level credits or not-for-credit
Instructor: Julie Price
Take your photography to the next level with training from the Michigan State University School of Journalism. Learn tips on how to compose strong photos, how to get the most out of your camera and what it takes to be a photojournalist — all while developing techniques to teach these skills in your own classroom.
We offer options to meet your needs: Take this class for graduate-level credit to meet state or district professional development requirements, to work toward a journalism endorsement, as part of MSU’s journalism master’s degree or not for credit for a reduced rate.
Your instructor, Julie Price, teaches journalism and photography courses at Haslett High School, where she advises the Viking Longboat newspaper and Dixit Yearbook. Before becoming a teacher, Julie worked in newspapers in California and Michigan for 15 years as a sportswriter, features writer, editor and copy editor.
Required Textbooks & Supplies
- Digital SLR camera or fixed lens camera with manual capabilities
- Textbook: TBA
- For graduate-level credit, use MSU’s tuition calculator (tuition varies based on residency and student level)
- Don’t need the college credit, but want to take the class? For $425, you can do that.
- Scholarships are available from the School of Journalism and MIPA for those taking the course for credit. Learn more and apply.
About MSU Adviser Courses
The Michigan State University School of Journalism partners with MIPA to offer a variety of journalism education courses for teachers and students pursuing teacher certification. Often offered online and during the summer, our curriculum changes to suit your needs and current issues facing scholastic journalism. You may enroll in these courses for undergraduate- or graduate-level credit, or not-for-credit at a reduced rate.
- MSU/MIPA Adviser Course Frequently Asked Questions
- Questions? Contact Jeremy Steele in the MIPA office.