- Enter contests: https://mipamsu.org/submit
- Access the contest system to view your entries: http://mipamsu.submittable.com
- Download this guide as a PDF
MIPA operates a web-based submission system to allow you to enter most of our contests by submitting electronic files. The system runs on the Submittable platform. Please pay close attention to contest rules and descriptions, which provide information about required file formats and other submission guidelines.
ACCEPTABLE FILE FORMATS
Please review the instructions for each contest area about acceptable file formats of entry materials. Some categories require only a URL to the entry material while others require you to upload a specific file type (such as .PDF or .JPG). Contest entries published on the web cannot be behind a password and must be set to public view so that they can be accessed on judging day. Entries that do not meet the category requirements will be disqualified. Entries that cannot be accessed on judging day will be disqualified — this means that if your website or the third-party file sharing service you use goes down on judging day, we cannot judge your entries.
Videos should be hosted on your own website or by a video file sharing service such as YouTube, Vimeo, etc. Be sure that you do not put these videos behind a password, and that these videos are set to public (NOT private) so that judges can view them. Entries that cannot be accessed on judging day will be disqualified. Choose a video hosting service with a high standard of reliability. If your hosting service goes offline on judging day, your videos may not be included in the contest.
In most cases, you can submit a link to entries that are published on the web. In some cases, you may also be required to submit a supplementary file (such as a JPG for photos). Double-check to ensure any URLs work and that your content is not blocked behind a password. Entries that cannot be accessed on judging day will be disqualified.
News Page Design
All news design entries must be submitted as PDF documents. FOR SPREADS (a spread is two facing pages) where your design crosses the gutter (flows across both pages), save your PDF as a spread, creating a single horizontal page out of two vertical pages. Otherwise, the judges may not see both pages of your spread together and will not get the full impact of your design. Consult your design software help guide for assistance saving a spread as a PDF.
Yearbook Page Design
Submit a single PDF of the page(s). FOR SPREADS (a spread is two facing pages), save your PDF as a spread, creating a single horizontal page out of two vertical pages. Otherwise, the judges may not see both pages of your spread together and will not get the full impact of your design. Consult your design software help guide for assistance saving a spread as a PDF.
Art & Photos
For most art and photo categories, submit the photo or artwork (see category description for file format) AND a PDF of the page on which the entry was published (if it appeared in print) or a working URL to the web page on which the entry was published (if it appeared on a news website).
Entries must be submitted by the contest deadline. Late entries will not be accepted.
You may pay contest fees before or after submitting entries – as long as payment is made by the submission deadline. Checks or purchase orders should be postmarked by this date. Credit card payments should be completed by this date. Plan ahead!
PAYING ENTRY FEES
There are several options for paying contest entries.
Pay as you submit each entry:
- You may pay entry fees as you submit each entry within the contest system. Just choose the category labeled “pay now” and you will be asked to enter payment information each time you submit a entry.
To request an invoice so that you can make one single payment for all of your contest entries:
- You may make one single payment for all of your contest entries. Submit your entry into the categories with the “pay by invoice” label. Tally all of your entries in the contest system and use the contest payment form at https://mipamsu.org/submit. Make check or purchase order payable to MIPA. Please provide an itemized list of all of the entry fees you are paying.
Checks or purchase orders should be postmarked by the submission deadline. Credit card payments should be completed by this date. If your school is slow to process checks or purchase orders, plan ahead. You can always pay fees before you submit your entries as long as you know how many entries you plan to submit in each category.
- Go to https://mipamsu.org/submit. Follow the instructions to submit your entries.
- Select the appropriate category for your entry. You will be taken to the Submittable system.
- FIRST-TIMER USERS: The adviser will be prompted to create an account in the submission system (accounts carry over from year to year) before uploading your first contest entry. ALL INDIVIDUAL CATEGORY CONTEST AND SPARTAN CRITIQUE ENTRIES MUST BE SUBMITTED FROM AN ACCOUNT USING THE ADVISER’S NAME! That’s how both you and MIPA can track all of your entries. Do not allow students to create their own accounts for individual contest and Spartan entries!
RETURNING USERS: Log in to access your account.
- Fill out the entry form as directed. You must complete a separate entry form for each contest entry.
VIEWING YOUR SUBMISSIONS AND TALLYING YOUR ENTRIES
If your school takes extra time to process payments, you may wish to pay contest fees early before you submit any entries to the system. That’s the best way to ensure your entries meet the deadline and are accepted into the contest!
You can view your submissions at any time in the contest system.
- Go to http://mipamsu.submittable.com to access the Submittable platform.
- Log in.
- From the menu at the top of the page, under your user name select Submissions. A sortable list of all of your submissions will appear.
- From this page, you can sort your entries. You also can WITHDRAW or request to EDIT any entries that were submitted by mistake or that you decide not to enter. MIPA must approve requests to edit before you will be allowed to make edits. If you are working close to the contest deadline, you may wish to withdraw and resubmit an entry rather than waiting for permission to edit it.
After you reviewing your entries, count the number of entries in each category and mark those numbers on the appropriate summary sheet. Use the summary sheet to prepare and submit payment.
Summary sheets for the Video and Digital Media contests may be submitted by mail, if paying by check or purchase order, or online if paying by credit card.
Summary sheets for the Newspaper and Yearbook contests must be submitted by mail (with your mail-in entries), even if making payment online.